Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Making Pancakes

     Earnhardt is almost twelve. That means he's 8 in girl years, right? When I was almost twelve, I was being paid a dollar an hour to watch my three cousins, one who was only a few years younger than I. We broke a fish tank. That gig ended after that.
      Occasionally I test the theory that Earnhardt might be old enough to babysit his younger brother, Carson. I go grocery shopping and leave him in charge, things like that. I recently tried an experiment and had them get their own lunch while I was away. I'm thinking PB&J sandwiches....
     Over the phone: "So, did you guys have lunch?" Yeah. "What did you have?" Pancakes. "What??" I made pancakes. "Huh? You did?" Yeah, but we didn't have enough Bisquick so I kind of had to wing it.
"What do you mean, 'wing it'?" Well, I wasn't sure how much flour and whether to use baking powder or baking soda... "What did the recipe say?" It didn't say on the Bisquick box so I just tried to remember. "Huh? Did you use a recipe?" No. "No?" No, I just tried to remember how Um-Um (Joel's mom) did it when she made pancakes so I put in a cup and a half of flour, half a cup of sugar, two eggs, milk... "Wait, you made pancakes from scratch? Without a recipe???" Yeah. But I wasn't sure about the baking powder or baking soda so I didn't put either in and they came out a little dense but they're still good. We saved you some. "Thanks. (I think) Dense?" We saved you ones without the Goldfish and marshmallows. "What?" I put Goldfish and marshmallows in them.

      I'd like to say this says something about me as a parent. That this kid of mine not only attempted to cook for his little brother but made something from scratch without a recipe. He's spent some time with me (and Um-Um) in the kitchen. He's confident with himself and the stove. He's responsible. He likes marshmallows. I'd like to say I taught him that confidence, that responsibility, that vocabulary... but I think, instead, it says something about me as a kid. I never would have attempted such a fete at his age. I wouldn't have gone near the stove. I probably would have waited for mom to come home and complained about how hungry I was. I would have just gotten by.  I certainly didn't know what dense meant.

     Maybe, just maybe Earnhardt's generation isn't as bad off as I once thought, not being able to survive without cell phones and X-box, Kindles and computers, Froot Loops and Pop Tarts. Maybe they can still be taught, if not hard-wired, to make more than toast. Maybe he'll be able to do laundry before he reaches college. Already he asks me, each and every day, how my day was when I pick him up from school. I wrack my brain trying to remember what I had for dinner as a kid, what I did to help out around the house, when I learned certain life lessons and I usually draw a blank and yet somehow I feel like my own two boys are packing away every piece of information like this. I say this because I get quizzed on it daily; "Do you remember when, Mommy, you dropped me off at Lisa's house to take Earnhardt to the theatre and she made gingerbread men with me?" "Do you remember when I didn't want to go to Nana's and stay over night that time and you said I had to because you had something to do and I was okay?" "Do you remember the time Daddy had the keys to the Tahoe and we walked to McDonald's?" I do remember and I wonder what else they remember. How else they are watching and learning from what I'm doing? It makes me realize I need to be especially careful now that I see I'm under such scrutiny. I think I might be a role model and it makes me wonder if I might be able to take a little credit for their wonderful little selves in the long run.   

2 comments:

  1. This entry made me laugh....especially the part about the pancakes with goldfish and marshmallows. You have certainly raised a self sufficient young man. It's really mo wonder..they have two great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too often, we talk about "this generation" and how much tougher the previous one had it and how much harder we worked/tried. I think that it's fair to blame the previous generation that raises the current if they are bad off. Some of the next generation will do well and some won't. Yours will.

    ReplyDelete