Sunday, April 15, 2012

Working with what you got

I sat down today, like I usually do on Sundays, to write out the 'menu' for the week, only difference being...I wasn't going grocery shopping this week... in this economy and with current gas prices I've become frugal to a fault, I throw nothing away and I'm really determined to use up the ingredients we have in the fridge, freezer and pantry....hmmm...frozen strawberries, leftover couscous, quick barley and ham, lots of leftover ham from Easter. Yeah, there's more and I'll get to that but I just wanted to give you an example of what I have to work with. Already our household have established "Meatless Monday" so we're doing a stir fry that I planned for last week when I did do grocery shopping. It will have baby corn, brown rice, frozen broccoli, water chestnuts, celery and homemade terryaki sauce sans the corn starch...and bread...not in the stir fry, beside it. I always add garlic toast as a filler. I know it's a bad habit, but I'm working on a budget here. Tuesday was supposed to be Taco Tuesday but I used the soft taco shells for quesadillas today. So we're doing mini-macaroni and cheeses...sans the cornstarch...really wish I'd bought that cornstarch now...and bread...and a side of broccoli. Why mini? (read: individual mac and cheeses) Because I only have half a box of pasta :). Wednesday my mother-in-law will have the kids so Joel and I can have leftover and ham and baked beans from the freezer that are soooooo good, even if I can't remember when I made them. (Note to self: get better about labeling stuff you shove in the freezer.) Thursday will be pizza. I have some frozen pizza dough and I'm looking in the fridge and I'm going to use that huge bag of mozzerella and a) sausage and cheese (leftover sausage) b) ham and cheese (the kids idea, actually...recognize the ham?) and, c) my favorite; asparagus and goat cheese - sounds decadent...wonder how long that goat cheese has been in there? Friday my mother-in-law will have the boys overnight because my husband and I are going to a show so we'll probably be eating ham and beans again or leftover asparagus and goat cheese pizza because the boys didn't sound thrilled about that. Saturday and Sunday will be either 'breakfast all day' or leftovers. I have so many "leftovers" that I'm not really sure where they all came from anymore. Any of you who had your eye on that couscous, don't worry I'll be having that for lunch someday this week, along with anything else I can find. And the frozen strawberries? (Do smoothies go with pizza?)

No comments:

Post a Comment